Nomad revisited

Luomanen

Luomanen
Total Posts:  468
Joined  05-11-2011

25 October 2012 10:59

Very interesting…could you point us to some pictures of your experiments with this so far, or point us to where to find them?

chris

Skip

Skip
Total Posts:  317
Joined  11-11-2011

25 October 2012 15:46

Someone else also asked (John Wright) so I uploaded some pictures with comments to google+

https://plus.google.com/photos/106991301954554310013/albums/5803372653515512401

cheers,
Skip

Mark

Mark
Total Posts:  92
Joined  17-11-2011

26 October 2012 05:29

At speed, all the force of the weight of the boat could be taken on the bow when landing off the back of a wave.
Is holding the bow rudder cassette in place is going to involve a serious bit of engineering, especially if scaled up to a larger boat?

Mark

Skip

Skip
Joined  11-11-2011

26 October 2012 07:24

Mark - 26 October 2012 05:29 AM

At speed, all the force of the weight of the boat could be taken on the bow when landing off the back of a wave.
Is holding the bow rudder cassette in place is going to involve a serious bit of engineering, especially if scaled up to a larger boat?

Mark

Probably or possibly, won’t know which until I get some stick time with BB. I think that the forces involved would be closer to the buoyancy of the assembly times a multiplier (*3?). My larger concern is bumping into things, shore, docks, boats, those sorts of things. I suspect that the proper thing to do is to keep things simple, as small as possible and rugged. Hard enough to do in the beginning and even harder to maintain over time.

Skip

Skip

Skip
Joined  11-11-2011

25 November 2012 12:31

It’s been cool temperature wise, particularly for the slow and cheap epoxy I usually use for my own projects, but a little progress has been made on the broomstick. I had been thinking of this project primarily as a test bed for Nomad but sitting on the seat making appropriate burbling water and wind sounds am starting to like this one on its own merits.

Things will probably stay at a standstill until after the holidays, surely epoxy will have cured by then.

Image Attachments

DSCF1793.JPG
DSCF1794.JPG
DSCF1795.JPG

Skip

Skip
Joined  11-11-2011

25 November 2012 12:50

I thought I’d post a couple of pictures of the Bionic Broomsticks ancestor, ACDC some 8 years ago. Same overall length (14’) and general configuration, details are drastically different. Should be fun to sort out rigging and see if I’ve learned anything during this period.

Image Attachments

ACDC5-001.jpg
ACDC8.jpg

Skip

Skip
Joined  11-11-2011

25 November 2012 12:57

One last thing, ruminating about the goodness of the schooner rig for Nomad, I wondered if a biaxial rig could work. The shunting tacks could be slaved together and it wouldn’t be that much more complicated than the rig based on Chris L’s rig.

Image Attachments

Nomad6s2.jpg

Luomanen

Luomanen
Joined  05-11-2011

25 November 2012 20:11

Wow—that’s a skinny canoe!  Is that all hot wire cut foam, Skip?

Your rudder bow/sterns are looking quite plausible.  I’m looking forward to seeing launch video.

I like your rig direction—just pivot on the mast.  Enough with the tensegrity already!

Nice work!

Chris

Skip

Skip
Joined  11-11-2011

26 November 2012 06:36

Luomanen - 25 November 2012 08:11 PM

Wow—that’s a skinny canoe!  Is that all hot wire cut foam, Skip?

Your rudder bow/sterns are looking quite plausible.  I’m looking forward to seeing launch video.

I like your rig direction—just pivot on the mast.  Enough with the tensegrity already!

Nice work!

Chris

Yes the hull is all hotwired foam (2#/cu ft), B/L ratio is 21/1 more to point would be the D/L ratio but haven’t calculated that. Haven’t even calculated total weight of boat, it should (a) be less than 100# (b) more than I’d like.

The overall scheme is looking good, there will be a fair amount of yard sailing done first to sort out all the bits, probably won’t hit the water until spring.

Tensegrity is nice, all compression and tension, no bending. real world considerations leave you with some bending in the beam, which is kind of natural that’s what beams do 😉.

cheers,
Skip

Dennis Barrett

Dennis Barrett
Total Posts:  8
Joined  21-03-2012

02 December 2012 18:52

subscribed!
..... and I’m watching with much interest ......... nice work skip!
and I like the idea of the rudders ......  and the foam ..... and, yeah, pretty much all of it!

Skip

Skip
Joined  11-11-2011

18 June 2013 14:41

Stuck here with an almost finished boat (BB) and no prospects to have things in the water for at least a month or two sucks.

I don’t know which rig is going to come out on top or what other little gotchas are still lurking out there but I’m kinda pulling for this one, even though I’ve spent a lot of time on the biaxial rig.

Mental exercises rigging, sailing, and simplifying are nice but I’ll really be glad to return to the two handed..

Schooner rig allows a ‘pop-up’ cabin out of an inexpensive 7’ x 7’ dome tent with stand up headroom. Roller furling sails on the boom should be simple and versatile.

Back for another nap

Skip

[ Edited: 18 June 2013 14:46 by Skip]
Image Attachments

NomadS2P.jpg
NomadS2S.jpg
NomadS2F.jpg

TINK

TINK
Total Posts:  238
Joined  08-03-2013

18 June 2013 22:50

Skip - 18 June 2013 02:41 PM

Stuck here with an almost finished boat (BB) and no prospects to have things in the water for at least a month or two sucks.

Skip

Really feeling for you Skip, I was a week away from launch when I damaged my shoulder. Plenty of time for thinking and planing proas….. It is my default mode, whenever I get time I’m always back on the proas. I have ten other really cool projects but proas never fail to get me thinking, even after thirty plus years.

Like the concept of Nomad but due to my recent experiences I would be looking at a supper low drag ama

Enjoy the nap, get well soon

Tink

Luomanen

Luomanen
Joined  05-11-2011

19 June 2013 14:14

This is looking REALLY nice, Skip.  There’s a lot to like here!

How will your sails be hoisted?  Hanked on at the luff?  Or are they like a cambered junk, with a central wire where the mast would be on the junk?

I like your Pizzey-ish knock down pod-let.

I’m excited to see how BB’s large radius bearing rudders work.  Will those ever be down in the “front”  How much lateral area do you think you need to go up wind well?

I’m watching with more than a little anticipation!

best,
Chris

Skip

Skip
Joined  11-11-2011

19 June 2013 16:41

Luomanen - 19 June 2013 02:14 PM

This is looking REALLY nice, Skip.  There’s a lot to like here!

How will your sails be hoisted?  Hanked on at the luff?  Or are they like a cambered junk, with a central wire where the mast would be on the junk?

I like your Pizzey-ish knock down pod-let.

I’m excited to see how BB’s large radius bearing rudders work.  Will those ever be down in the “front”  How much lateral area do you think you need to go up wind well?

I’m watching with more than a little anticipation!

best,
Chris

Thanks.

Sail will be roller furled around the boom. Jack stays from the ends of boom to mast head should keep things orderly. Intent is to have cambered junk style panels with the idea that setup will work reasonably to windward without enormous tension.

Having the side of the minimal cabin follow the slope of the hull pretty much a nobrainer once there wasn’t a slide along the side.

BB’s rudders seem to be OK, plan on trying front rudder down but am not expecting it to be standard fare. Most of the lateral resistance should be in the float.

Time will tell.

Skip

Luomanen

Luomanen
Joined  05-11-2011

19 June 2013 17:46

Thanks.

Sail will be roller furled around the boom. Jack stays from the ends of boom to mast head should keep things orderly. Intent is to have cambered junk style panels with the idea that setup will work reasonably to windward without enormous tension.

Having the side of the minimal cabin follow the slope of the hull pretty much a nobrainer once there wasn’t a slide along the side.

BB’s rudders seem to be OK, plan on trying front rudder down but am not expecting it to be standard fare. Most of the lateral resistance should be in the float.

Time will tell.

Skip

Furled around the boom!  I didn’t see that coming!  Very interesting.

So will the sail have a “good” side and a “bad” side because of the jackstays—like a lug of any sort does with the mast?

And that brings us to the ama.  Did you test that with models?  I’m fascinated to see how it works.

very cool,
chris