What about a Wa’apa ply/SoF hybrid? Ulua cedar strip/SoF hybrid?

Flsail

Flsail
Total Posts:  6
Joined  16-11-2011

17 February 2012 08:07

So,

Generally I’m a lurker, have been on these sites for years, just soaking it in but rarely post. I am pretty fired up about building a Wa’apa and an Ulua, and maybe down the road something like Madness. Every now and then I get a silly thought that I just cant shake.

I love the simplicity of the Wa’apa and Ulua as day sailing, car topable canoes with weekend cruising ability. One of the things that has drawn me to the Wa’apa for years is the flexability afforded by its modular nature. An issue I have struggled with was the drawback of all that open cockpit. Thats great and light for a day trip, but tends to be a big deal on an excursion. I could go the route of the decking in completely, or raising the foot wells up and adding scuppers, but that is a good bit of weight and very permanent. I have also read Expedition Canoeing, by Jacobson, and am very intrigued by his instructions on how to build expandable covers for canoes with detachable spray skirts.

Well, enter another method of construction I plan on trying when I get the chance, fuselage style Skin on Frame. Great site to check out is http://www.yostwerks.com.

I just can’t seem to shake the idea of making a stock Wa’apa, then making 3 seperate SoF toppers. The permutations I go through on my drive to and from work are countless. They range from simple deck covers for the bow sections, to more complex arrangements that sweep up in the center, and mimic the look of a Mbuli, or some of the designs shown here.

Gary Dierking’s post today about his new model got me thinking about something similar for the Ulua.
http://outriggersailingcanoes.blogspot.com/2012/02/pukapuka.htm
The hull shape of the model looks similar enough to the Ulua, and by creating a light, cedar frame to create the shape and high gunnels you may give yourself a drier ride.

I know there are a bunch of drawbacks. Increased windage, awkward or limited paddling, increased difficulty emptying a swamped boat do to restricted access (thinking of the Wa’apa here), not to mention designing the frames to be strong and light enough. I still just can’t shake the idea

I have the frames for the 24’ Wa’apa done, but my wife really likes the Ulua and wants me to build that first (she actually said first, meaning she knows that won’t be the end of it hehehe). Now if I can just keep work from getting in the way I may actually get the strong back and frames built this weekend. Gotta strike while the iron is hot, since my wife actually wants me to build a specific boat 😊 (I think she likes it since it will match the EasyB canoe I built her, thanks again for that design Skip!)

I look forward to thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Thanks
Jon

Adam

Adam
Total Posts:  77
Joined  09-02-2012

18 February 2012 12:10

I like the modularity of your idea; removable means if it doesn’t work out, you go back a step and have a working proa anyway. I also think there is something to be gained I’m just not sure what you’re thinking:

What do your other plans look like besides Mbuli-style? If I recall correctly, both of Gary Dierkings designs you mentioned are self bailing? If not, I can see the added skin on frame letting you leave the foot wells deeper and need less bailing. Otherwise, maybe just keeping your feet drier could be expected… unless you want to actually ride in the main hull like a kayak? Then I would anticipate a drier butt, which is a nice thought!

As far as mbuli; one of the main purposes was to sleep inside; could you get that kind of use out of a Wa’apa or Ulua or what did you have in mind? Dry lunch or dry tent?

If you’re realistic about expectations I don’t see why this wouldn’t be worthwhile. It was definitely worthwhile on my super snark and that’s not even close to wave-piercing. A foredeck with deflecting shield was added. Before that it looked like this and let 3 ft waves in over the bow especially with 2 people aboard.  http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4211

Flsail

Flsail
Total Posts:  6
Joined  16-11-2011

19 February 2012 05:46

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Snark.

I haven’t taken time to sketch up my thoughts, but my primary thought is to create bow covers, because the Wa’aa doesn’t have self bailing wells. And I think for 85%  of the sailing I plan to do that will be fine.

This idea is mostly for the Wa’apa that I think I’d find the most use for this, simply covering the bows and giving me drier gear, and less bailing.  The recent post on Gary’s site made me think I could simply raise the free board on the Ulua and give it that cool looking bow using a skin coverered frame, really just thought it would be cool and triggered an urge to share it with other folks, not something I’d probably try.

I don’t think I really need a cabin for the most part where I sail, it was just a thought that it could be done if I wanted to down the road by making 3 new frames that sweep up to form a small cabin. With a more bouyant ama on the Wa’apa, I could envision a small cockpit deck/tramp (replacing the hiking seats) to sail from and a small cabin structure with sitting headroom inside to wait out the rain, cook, and maybe stretch out for a nap (or place to use the bucket in private). Really what put me to thinking about that was Madness. My reasoning was I could build a Wa’apa relatively cheaply and day sail it. Then, if I actually liked sailing a proa I could play with putting the small cabin on it, and sail it as a weekender. Basically a proof of concept before committing time and money to a larger build. Very likely if I ever got to that stage, I may be pretty happy with the Wa’apa and just stick with it!

Thanks
Jon

Adam

Adam
Total Posts:  77
Joined  09-02-2012

20 February 2012 18:34

A bit of traditional inspiration!

Image Attachments

Isole_Cook.jpg

dstgean

dstgean
Total Posts:  32
Joined  26-01-2012

24 February 2012 11:56

Jon,

After building both the Ulua and the Tamanu x2 😉, I think you are on the right track for Florida.  The Tamanu has a bit more freeboard and I never got a wet deck on the T200 in cat mode.  My Ulua otoh, was prone to slicing through waves and the stern would get a bit swamped.  I like what the Holopuni guys are doing with the added freeboard and the decking.  If I’d have seen that, I might not have done so much Tamanu building.  I’m glad I did the Tamanus though.  Will you be cartopping?

I gotta imagine you could build a light SOF Wa’apa and use inflatable rollers or other flotation options.  I was just thinking of your desire to build a Ulua.  I have most everything you might need save plans (I’m keeping them & you should pay Gary anyhow), but you are welcome to have the forms from my build if you’d like.  Additionally, I ripped cove and bead cedar strips enough for a second hull.  You’d have to buy those though….  I’ll be heading down to Sanibel this June with the family and plan on getting out as much as possible on my sup and some sailing too.

Dan

[ Edited: 24 February 2012 14:25 by dstgean]