Multihulls in the R2AK 2017
03 June 2017 Editor 1 Comments
The third annual Race to Alaska starting gun goes off at 5:00 am on June 8. 750 miles, no motor, no support from Port Townsend WA to Ketchikan AK. As per the previous races, there will be plenty of multihulls vying for the $10,000 first to finish prize, and perhaps a new course record, though last year’s time of 3d 20h 13m set by Team MAD Dog Racing is a tall order.
New this year is the Buy Back offer: Each team that finishes and rings the bell will get 5 minutes to decide whether or not they will be the one to sell R2AK their boat for $10,000. Buy an old Hobie for a thousand, race to Alaska, make $9K. What could possibly go wrong?
There are 21 multihull teams signed up for the full race:
- Team Triceratops from Frisco on a Corsair F-27
- Team Pure & Wild/Freeburd from Marblehead, MA on Mama Tried, a custom 8.5m Melvin trimaran
- Team Phocoena from Paris, France on a Tricat
- Team Nomadica from Victoria BC on a Windrider 17
- Team Ketch Me If U Can from Frisco on a Nacra Inter 20
- Team PT Watercraft from Port Townsend WA on a Gougeon 32
- Team Bitty Kitty Meow from Lake Forest Park WA on a Nacra 17
- Team Bad Kitty from Surrey BC on a 34’ yellow catamaran
- Team Big Broderna from Anacortes WA on a F31 trimaran
- Team Uncruise from Juneau AK on a Farrier 25C
- Team Make It So from Seattle, WA on a Prindle 19r
- Team Northwest Wind & Surf from Seattle WA on a Dierking Tamanu trimaran
- Team Campbell Sloop from Sqaumish BC on custom Angus trimaran
- Team Sistership from Ventura CA on a Corsair F-27
- Team Gar from Charlottesville, VA on a 19’ Tri-raid trimaran
- Team What the Fuca from somewhere south on Corsair F-28
- Team Sailpro from Isle of Wight UK on a 34’ Crowther Buccaneer trimaran
- Team 3 1/2 Aussies from Vancouver BC on a F-31
- Team Kairos from New Canaan CT on a 19’ Angus Rowcruiser
- Team Pear Shaped Racing from San Francisco/Victoria BC on a Multi 23 trimaran
- Team Discovery from Taylor SC on a Hobie 16
Best of luck to all the teams, and don’t get eaten by a bear.
If you are planning on attending the pre-race Ruckus the day before, give me a shout for a meet up.