NOTICE

The Proafile forums are now closed.

The forums opened on Nov. 1, 2011, and operated until Aug. 31, 2014. There are 400 topics on all aspects of proa and outrigger canoe design, history, construction and sailing, which remain online as an archive.

Return of the Surf Kings

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 356

Joined 2011-10-28

PM

I’ve been inspired by Johannes’ advanced sharpie proa and I can’t really put my finger on why, except that it takes me back to the reasons I fell in love with multihulls in the first place. So I made a little collage for myself about some of that, and I’m sharing it here. Thank you Johannes, for re-awakening that part of me.

And if there’s anyone inspired to post an image that resonates for you, please do!

Image Attachments

surf.jpg

Signature

All I want to know is are we coming or are we going?

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-01-26

PM

Looks great!  As a former San Diego guy growing up, thatt ticks allthe right buttons.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 637

Joined 2011-11-16

PM

This site is a goldmine of ideas and really fun and fast boats! I am only happy if i can contribute back!
There is something magical about surfing! Living at the 58 degrees north, i like snowboarding a lot!
Thank you Michael for all inspiration throughout the last 4 years!

I love the collage! It really shows the fun we are all seeking!

Johannes.

Signature

Simple, efficient and fun!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 637

Joined 2011-11-16

PM

Woody Brown, age 94! Still surfing!

What would the multihull-movement be without him?

Image Attachments

woody.jpg

Signature

Simple, efficient and fun!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 83

Joined 2012-01-11

PM

Good idea to look back to the roots. My start into the multihull world begins with the first two books, which are published in German - 1972 : “Katamarane und andere Mehrrumpfboote” by Heinz-Jürgen Sass a Swedish multihull pioneer (PDF of his lifework (110 MB)) and “Katamarane, Trimarane und Auslegerboote” by E.F.Cotter. Here is a sampler of it.
Cheers
Othmar

Image Attachments

sampler.jpg
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 356

Joined 2011-10-28

PM

Othmar, thanks the additions. Even though the cat on the upper left looks like a Choy, I believe it is a Hugo Meyers design? The trimaran must be a Piver Lodestar, and we all know Cheers.

Signature

All I want to know is are we coming or are we going?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 83

Joined 2012-01-11

PM

Yes, you’re right. It’s “Kai Vai” a 14m Myers Design, and also the Piver 35 you’ve identified. The catamaran on middle of top is the “Distans90”, a design from Jürgen Sass. Good looking for an age of nearly 45 years.