Strangford Lough cruiser

TINK

TINK
Total Posts:  238
Joined  08-03-2013

28 March 2013 13:14

Taking a leaf out of Chris Luomanen’s idea of designing a proa for its geography (Kahana Bay proa) just for the crack I am pottering with the Strangford Lough cruiser.

‘Strangford Lough in Norther Ireland is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, covering an area of 150sq km. It is an almost landlocked inlet from the of sea, set within a diverse lowland topography. Within the lough tips of drowned drumlin hills create a spectacular myriad of about 70 islands, while on shore, the hills form a pleasant rolling landscape. In the distance the magnificent Mourne Mountains create a wonderful backdrop. ‘

Anyway back to the proa,  it is a combination of a Bank’s Dory, Caddo Lake Bateau and off course a proa.
The brief is for a singlehander or two up for a day sail or a single hander for ultralight camping. The overall length is 14ft, due to building limitations. That’s where the Dory mid ships section comes in. With a 260kg displacement the hull draft is 120mm and L:B 11:1 up the displacement to 360kg and draft 200mm,  L:B 10:1. I would have liked a finer hull but the draft increased too much, the bows are sharp giving fine entry. The Bateau influence is twisting the sides of the flat bottom v mid section into vertical stem maximising length and L:B. This twist creates some good flair for reserve buoyancy and keeping the crew dry.
Back to the Dory mid ships section, the flat of the bottom is 200mm, the gunwale 500mm above and a beam of 800mm. This gives space inside for a temporary birth of ‘bivi’ camping, a simple ‘tent’ protecting against the elements.

The beams in the picture are 1600mm apart so some ‘accommodation’ would be under the beams and deck. The ‘birth’ is removable like a camp bed made of material under tension.

The rest is up for grabs but I am still favouring balanced lug rigged schooner and moving leeboard until my TP03 tests prove the error of my ways.

TINK

Image Attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Johannes

Johannes
Total Posts:  664
Joined  16-11-2011

28 March 2013 23:54

Strangford Lough seems like very beautiful cruising grounds!!!
I hope I get to Ireland soon. I have been wanting to sail in Ireland since I was a child.

I like the looks of you vaka, but i think your ama is way to small. I think you can make the ama almost as long as your vaka on your 14 foot proa.

I like all these ideas that are put forth here. Its a lot of creativity!!!

Cheers,
Johannes

TINK

TINK
Total Posts:  238
Joined  08-03-2013

29 March 2013 04:27

Hi Johannes
Hope you get to Ireland soon, it is a very beautiful country, lough Erne and the Shannon are also great for cruising I have read.

Anyway I will take on board about the outrigger, I am still fighting with a CAD package but here is some work in progress.

TINK

[ Edited: 29 March 2013 10:20 by TINK]
Image Attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Alex

Alex
Total Posts:  107
Joined  15-02-2012

29 March 2013 05:43

Southern Ireland is a stunning cruising area - in summer. Still far too cold!!
But not as cold (thankfully) as where you are Johannes.

Luomanen

Luomanen
Total Posts:  468
Joined  05-11-2011

31 March 2013 09:07

I like the little hollow in the bow.  Perfect for the stout little hull.