Hi everybody.

Alex

Alex
Total Posts:  107
Joined  15-02-2012

15 February 2012 21:32

Hello - my name is alex , and i’m a proa addict.
Been toying with the idea of building my own boat for a long time. At first it was going to be a catamaran and it was going to be big…... since then, things haven’t gone well with recession etc etc and so the boat shrank and shrank. Now i can no longer afford to. But along the way, i discovered proa’s and fell in love.
And while i can’t build now, it gives me longer to keep learning about designing and come up with one.

I love Russel Browns boats and CLC’s Madness - also Gary Dierkings T2 and Te Wa.

But try as i might - i can’t get that type of proa to work out. So my current thinking is a Te Pookie Style boat.
It makes sense in a small proa ( to me at least) because i can get the really slim hulls and still get accommodations and protection from the elements on deck.
Looking at a super simple 6m - 7m, crab claw rigged camp cruiser for 1 or 2.
Has to be cheap and easy to build.

Alex.

P.S. Te Pookie would be really cool with strip planked hulls?

Editor

Editor
Total Posts:  357
Joined  28-10-2011

17 February 2012 09:52

Hi Alex, welcome to the forums! Teh Pookie got a lot of comments, I’m glad you liked it. I keep thinking that there must be some manufactured tubing around that might suffice for the hulls, perhaps PVC or alu pontoon boat hulls. Then all you’d need to do is fabricate “nose cones” for the ends and boom, hulls are done.

Alex

Alex
Total Posts:  107
Joined  15-02-2012

17 February 2012 21:32

Not quite the simple solution - or easily transported - but strip planked hulls would be light ,strong and keep the rounded shapes. It’s the look i like. He’d be marketable - especially in larger sizes? Somewhere around 40’ would allow for a decent size (deck) pod and some use of the hulls - if not accommodations, then storage with easy access.