Lug rig adjustable CE

TINK

TINK
Total Posts:  238
Joined  08-03-2013

21 March 2013 05:59

Alex - 21 March 2013 04:45 AM

This all seems overly complex for such a small boat…....
Why not just can’t the mast from the beams over the hull?

Not sure what you mean.
It may seam complex in isolation so I will just restate what the rig achieves:
1) balanced lug rig that presents a clean sail shape on each shunt.
2) ability to control the position of the CE and steer, mast and gallows etc all rotate.
3) a single leeboard would be the only foil, steering is eliminated other than maybe a oar for launching, recovery.

Tink

Tom

Tom
Total Posts:  127
Joined  08-11-2011

21 March 2013 07:18

This has been a fun thread to watch.  It really makes you appreciate the genius of the traditional shunting lateen, or the simplicity of Slieve’s Split Junk.

That being said, these kinds of exercises really lead to a greater understanding of all the forces involved in a useful rig, and once in a great while an epiphany is reached.

Keep Goldberging Tink!

Tom

TINK

TINK
Joined  08-03-2013

21 March 2013 07:40

Tom - 21 March 2013 07:18 AM

Keep Goldberging Tink!

Tom

I will do Tom, it keeps the frustration of having a ready to sail new boat in garage while the shoulder heels at bay.

I fully agree with the genius of the rigs you mentioned,  the more I do this the more I convince myself the same. I would add the soft wing such as Omer wing sails and similar ( http://www.omerwingsail.com/ )

Tink

TINK

TINK
Joined  08-03-2013

21 March 2013 12:35

I was reading THE PROAS OF JOHN PIZZEY - PART 2 when I came across this

“My introduction to modern proas was….. aboard Tony Williams’ proa. It worked extremely well, was fast, fun and controllable but a bit complex in its rig.  However it scored with no rudders or centreboard and was steered very effectively by the sail which was set on a spar with a central boom at the end of a gantry like mast. I grew fond of that sail arrangement and endeavoured to incorporate it on one of my proas.”

John is talking about the proa woftam, photo below

This articulates what I am attempting to achieve with the Spinnalug, put in a simple way.

The latest version is show below

TINK

Image Attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg

James

James
Total Posts:  148
Joined  29-10-2011

21 March 2013 12:50

Love it!!
I take it that the top gallows while free to move up and down for reefing, is not free to rotate around the mast and so maintains its position relative to the lower gallows (if that’s the right word/name)

TINK

TINK
Joined  08-03-2013

21 March 2013 13:23

Spot on James, the whole mast and upper and lower gallows rotate, I am working on the details of how that works. The reefing is something I am still working on.

Tink

MTP

MTP
Total Posts:  34
Joined  08-11-2011

21 March 2013 13:59

I wouldn’t worry about reefing a sail on such a small boat; very few dinghies do.  Perhaps just have a smaller sail stuffed away onboard somewhere to pull out on the really brisk days.

cpcanoesailor

cpcanoesailor
Total Posts:  92
Joined  15-12-2011

22 March 2013 07:29

A telescoping mast and slab reefing?

TINK

TINK
Joined  08-03-2013

24 March 2013 12:56

Slightly simpler

Image Attachments

image.jpg

Luomanen

Luomanen
Total Posts:  468
Joined  05-11-2011

24 March 2013 17:54

I’d love to see how a model sails!  Get right on that, would you ; )

TINK

TINK
Joined  08-03-2013

25 March 2013 02:02

Luomanen - 24 March 2013 05:54 PM

I’d love to see how a model sails!  Get right on that, would you ; )

I would love to do that,
Too many projects, ideas fighting with other commitments. I think only people with a clear plan of what they would do with the money should be allowed to win the lottery.

Anyway when the shoulder fixes got to get TP03 sailing (schooner lug rig with movable leeboard). When I have free time and can’t sail then I will develop with models of the Spinlug rig. My thoughts for this rig was for the minimal proa as a schooner would be silly.

Started looking back at the http://ghanawaapa.blogspot.co.uk/ (schooner lug rigged Waapa) and the YouTube of it sailing ( http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PFTle4EYqyM&desktop;_uri=/watch?v=PFTle4EYqyM) and your Kahana Bay Beach Cruiser designs I am going back to the idea of bigger day boat with schooner rig.

With my arm in a sling I keep getting the same question,‘aren’t you bored?’ frustrated but never bored. Must go and buy a lottery ticket

Tink

Mark

Mark
Total Posts:  92
Joined  17-11-2011

26 March 2013 06:55

A simpler, cleaner way of achieving your spinlugger is to have a cranked free standing mast.  It would pivot in the hull and be cranked just above deck.  The mast is in bending, so the cranked part would not be significantly stronger, though as it is low down it would be best to over-engineer.  This arrangement gives less windage up top.  It also allows a freedom in the sail.  It could be a junk (lug) or with a longer crank, a simple sleeved sail (from a Laser).
Mark

TINK

TINK
Joined  08-03-2013

26 March 2013 12:27

Mark - 26 March 2013 06:55 AM

A simpler, cleaner way of achieving your spinlugger is to have a cranked free standing mast.  It would pivot in the hull and be cranked just above deck.  The mast is in bending, so the cranked part would not be significantly stronger, though as it is low down it would be best to over-engineer.  This arrangement gives less windage up top.  It also allows a freedom in the sail.  It could be a junk (lug) or with a longer crank, a simple sleeved sail (from a Laser).
Mark

I think what you are suggesting is a birdwing mast, as below, arranged to get the CE nearer the axis of mast rotation. This helps ballance but does not allow for steering. If I have misunderstood I would value clarification

Tink

Image Attachments

image.jpg

Johannes

Johannes
Total Posts:  664
Joined  16-11-2011

27 March 2013 00:52

Hi Tink!

I have been following this thread with great interest for a while now.
I came up with this idea this morning. Its a simple asymmetric A-frame mast that is standing across the mainhull with one leg on the crossbeams. The A-frame is easy to tilt forward and backwards to adjust CE. The overhanging piece of the mast leves clearance for the sail to pivot around easy when shunting.

It would be easy to cover the mast with a piece of polytarp to make a simple shelter when ancored for the night somewhere.

I hope it makes sense.

Cheers
Johannes

[ Edited: 27 March 2013 00:54 by Johannes]
Image Attachments

a-frame.jpg

Johannes

Johannes
Total Posts:  664
Joined  16-11-2011

27 March 2013 00:59

I reread the first page of your thread and found that you had already thought of this in post #12.

so much for my memory…...............

Cheers
Johannes